When Bill English said ‘there is nothing left to be done’ on the Auckland housing crisis he had overlooked a few things – a few things, Labour’s Housing spokesperson Phil Twyford says.
“He’s right if you ignore:
- Cracking down on speculators
- Banning offshore speculators from buying existing homes
- Building new houses that people can live in
- Ensuring LVRs don’t hurt first home buyers and regional New Zealand
- Reforming planning rules
- Undertaking massive urban renewal programme
“Other than that Bill’s right. There’s nothing more to be done. Really Bill?” Phil Twyford says.