Ruth is determined to create and implement a plan to retain skilled and passionate people in the Canterbury region. She aims to include people, particularly young people, in the thinking and planning for the future to create a committed, passionate community in Canterbury. Ruth thrives on working with and for the diverse communities within her electorate of Port Hills.
- Involved in women’s organisations, peace movement and environmental groups since early 1970s
- Campaigner for Kerry Burke 1981 & 1984
- Campaign worker for Fran Wilde on Homosexual Law Reform Bill 1984
- Women's Representative, New Zealand Council of the New Zealand Labour Party 1984
- Executive Member, New Zealand Labour Party 1986
- Senior Vice President, New Zealand Labour Party 1987
- Campaign organiser for Fran Wilde 1987
- President, Labour Party 1988-1993
- Member of Parliament 1993-present, including 9 years as a Minister.