Earlier this year, Jacinda Ardern announced that New Zealand would lead the world and stop issuing new offshore oil and gas exploration permits. We've introduced the Crown Minerals (Petroleum) Amendment Bill to pass this into law.
A select committee is currently reviewing the bill, and has asked the public to share their views on it.
Big oil companies and their lobbyists are opposing the bill, and now the National Party has got in behind them, encouraging their supporters to make submissions against the bill.
But we know the majority of Kiwis want us to take action on climate change and start planning for a low carbon economy.
Unsure where to start? Here are some points you may want to include in your submission:
- I support the Government’s bill to stop issuing new offshore oil and gas exploration permits.
- Climate change is our nuclear free moment and its vital New Zealand takes action and starts planning for a low carbon economy.
- We need a long term, managed transition away from fossil fuels and towards clean, home grown energy that creates jobs.
- We can’t bury our head in the sand – the world is changing and New Zealand needs to adapt.
- Planning for a just transition now will help us get ahead of the curve and avoid nasty economic shocks as the world moves away from fossil fuels.
- I urge the committee to support this bill.
Submissions close Thursday 11 October, so act now to make sure your voice is counted.