Labour supports free trade. However, we will not support the TPP if it undermines New Zealand’s sovereignty.
We have five key principles which will be non-negotiable bottom lines to protect New Zealand’s interests when the agreement finally makes it to Parliament.
- Pharmac must be protected
- Corporations cannot successfully sue the Government for regulating in the public interest
- New Zealand maintains the right to restrict sales of farm land and housing to non-resident foreign buyers
- The Treaty of Waitangi must be upheld
- Meaningful gains are made for our farmers in tariff reductions and market access.