Overseas voting is now open – and with this election shaping up to be closer than ever, your vote will be crucial for getting New Zealand back on track after nine long years of National. Being overseas doesn't have to stop you from having your say, especially if you want a better New Zealand to return to, and you're ready for Jacinda to be Prime Minister.
Luckily it's really easy to vote if you or someone you know is living or holidaying overseas, and wants to vote Labour.
You are eligible to enrol and vote from overseas if you comply with all three of these criteria:
- you are 18 years of age or older, and
- you have lived in New Zealand for more than one year continuously at some time in your life, and
- you're either:
a New Zealand citizen who has been in New Zealand at any point in the past three years, or
a New Zealand permanent resident who has been in New Zealand at any point in the past 12 months.
If you are eligible to enrol, you can do so, or update your details, one of the following ways:
- go online here
- pick up an enrolment form from any New Zealand diplomatic post
- call from within New Zealand (by phoning 0800 36 76 56) or from overseas (by phoning +64 9 909 4182) and ask to be sent an enrolment form
- ask a member of your family or a friend to complete an enrolment form for you.
Once enrolled, you can cast your vote one of the following ways:
- download voting papers here
- vote in person at an overseas post - to locate an overseas voting post near you, click here
- ask for voting papers via email, or write and provide the following information:
Date of birth
Email and/or phone number
New Zealand address where you are enrolled to vote
Overseas address where you want your voting papers to be sent in the mail.
Please send this information by:
Post: Electoral Commission, PO Box 3220, Wellington 6140, NEW ZEALAND.
There are a few ways you can return your voting papers from overseas one of the following ways:
- Scan, photograph and upload them here
- Fax (yes, fax!) them to +64 4 494 2300
- Post them or hand deliver them to your nearest overseas post
- Post them to: Overseas Voting, Electoral Commission, PO Box 3220, Wellington 6140, NEW ZEALAND
Voting papers returned to the Electoral Commission by upload or fax must be received no later than 7pm, Saturday 23 September (NZ time).
Voting papers returned to the Electoral Commission by post must be postmarked no later than Thursday, 21 September and received at the Electoral Commission or at your Returning Officer's headquarters by noon, Wednesday 27 September.
Voting papers returned to an overseas post must be received before the close of voting at that post, usually 4pm (local time) Friday 22 September (subject to local holidays).
This information and more can be viewed by visiting the NZ Electoral Commission Website here.
Happy voting! 🎉