A team of Labour MPs took part in the 2015 World Vision 40 hour famine and we were told by World Vision and the young people, that it was the first time MPs had joined them and how appreciative they were of our support for something they are so passionate about, says Labour’s Youth Affairs spokesperson Louisa Wall.
“The Labour team was Poto Williams, Meka Whaitiri, Nanaia Mahuta and myself and we fasted from Tuesday to Thursday this week.
“The 40 Hour Famine was launched in 1975 by World Vision and this first 40 Hour Famine, in 1975, had 10,000 participants and raised over NZ$250,000.
“Since then, the 40 Hour Famine has continued to grow, raising over $74 million through 2.3 million participants. The 40 Hour Famine, in many New Zealand schools and communities, has become an annual tradition and opportunity for parents and the communities to support our young people as they sacrifice something for a specific cause. This year funds will go towards establishing emergency feeding programmes, teaching families how to grow vegetables and improving access to health and nutrition services in Bangladesh.
“This is a challenging and engaging way for thousands of young people around the country to get involved in global issues and to take a stand for others less fortunate than themselves. It’s wonderful to see young people getting behind the 40 Hour Famine and showing their commitment to helping vulnerable children and families.
“Next year I would like to form a cross-party group in parliament to take part in the challenge and to support our young people and World Vision in their efforts to build a better world for all children.”