New Zealand relies on rural communities. They support our primary sector - which is the engine room of our economy. We need to make sure our rural communities get the support they need to grow and thrive - not just for now, but for future generations.
What the Wellbeing Budget delivers for regional New Zealand:
- Expanding over-the-phone and digital support for mental wellbeing
- This will make support available no matter where you live, by increasing access to mental health and addiction support over the phone and online
- Protecting our productive land for generations to come with the productive and sustainable land use package
- Ensuring the wellbeing of our animals and keeping our food safe with animal welfare and food safety compliance
- Protecting our land against invasive species with wilding confier control
- Strengthening our biosecurity system
- Improved rail, providing better freight and tourism links to rural New Zealand
- Upgrading new schools and classrooms across New Zealand, including rural New Zealand
- Helping farmers and growers get more value for what they do with our rural proofing policy, ensuring that challenges faced by the rural sector are considered when designing and implementing Government policy.
Boosting industry and jobs:
- We understand that while taking mental health seriously an important step, rural wellbeing is about more than just access to services. For communities to thrive, we need sustainable industry, and jobs for our young people.
- We worked to fix agricultural training to give the sector the skilled staff it needs
- We signed trade deals to give Kiwi businesses access to the world’s largest market – CPTPP, working on RCEP, EU, UK trade deals
- We supported drought stricken farmers with a rural recovery package in the Tasman
- We boosted forestry by planting 60 million trees
What else we’ve achieved for rural communities:
- We acted to eradicate M.bovis and protect our national herd – including strengthening NAIT
- We strengthened rural health services – including mental health
- We created rural jobs through the Provincial Growth Fund
- We supported farmers cleaning up our rivers and waterways
- We launched $40m per year Sustainable Food and Fibre Futures Fund