Phil is a strong voice for the community in West Auckland. He campaigns for better transport, including a rapid transit busway on the north-western motorway, and speaks out regularly for his constituents. He is known for his street corner meetings and his big red van is a common sight on the streets of West Auckland.
With a background in leadership, campaigning and advocacy Phil's pre-politics career allowed him to hit the ground running when he entered Parliament. He led Labour's campaign against the way National set up the Auckland super city, and as housing spokesperson he has made housing a battleground political issue, pushing Labour's strong policies.
- Labour Spokesperson on Housing, Transport, Auckland Issues, Associate Spokesperson for the Environment (Cities)
- Elected to Parliament in 2008
- Founding Executive Director of Oxfam NZ (1991-99), director of advocacy for Oxfam International based in Washington DC (1999-2003)
- Journalist, union organiser
- BA (Political Studies), University of Auckland