Crack down on speculators
Ban foreign speculators from buying existing homes
Tax property speculators who flick houses within five years
Create a level playing field for first home buyers
Speculators will no longer be able to use tax losses on their rental properties to offset their tax on other income which gives them an unfair advantage over people looking to buy their first home.
Build more affordable houses
Build 100,000 affordable homes across the country
Create an Affordable Housing Authority to fast-track development in our cities
Growing the building workforce
Remove barriers that are stopping Auckland growing up and out
Support for those in need
Focus Housing New Zealand on helping people, not making a profit
Take serious action to end homelessness
Labour will take serious action to end homelessness in line with the recommendations of the Cross-Party Homelessness Inquiry.
Require all rental homes to be warm, dry, and healthy.
Invest in warm, dry homes
Labour will invest the money from ending the tax loophole for speculators in grants to help 600,000 families insulate their homes or install a clean, fixed form of heating.
Making life better for renters
- Increase 42 day notice periods for landlords to 90 days to give tenants more time to find somewhere else to live
- Abolish “no-cause” terminations of tenancies
- Retain the ability of landlords to get rid of tenants who are in breach of the tenancy agreement with 90 days’ notice, or more quickly by order of the Tenancy Tribunal
- Limit rent increases to once per year (the law currently limits it to once every six months) and require the formula for rental increases to be specified in the rental agreement
- Give tenants and landlords the ability to agree tenants on a fixed term lease of 12 months or more can make minor alterations, like putting up shelves, if they pay double bond and on the basis the property is returned to the state it was in at the start of the tenancy
- Ban letting fees
- Require all rentals to be warm, dry, and healthy for families to live in by passing the Healthy Homes Bill
- Give landlords access to grants of up to $2000 for upgrading insulation and heating.
Better homes for Māori
Labour’s vision is that all New Zealanders have a fair shot at owning a place of their own, and all of our families have a warm, dry, safe home to live in. Working with iwi and other Māori organisations will be crucial to making that vision a reality.
Specific Housing Development Announcements:
- We'll build 50,000 affordable homes in Auckland
- We'll build 400 affordable homes in the Hutt Valley
- We'll build 200 affordable homes in Hamilton
- We'll build 1000 affordable homes in Queenstown
- We'll build 149 affordable homes in Palmerston North
- We'll build 240 affordable homes in Napier and Hastings