Shanan lives in Birkenhead, buying his first home seven years ago and settling down with his partner because of the great community here. He grew up in the Hawkes Bay, but moved to Auckland to study - he was the first in his family to attend university.
During his time there, Shanan worked in student services and found his passion helping others to get the tools and education they needed to lift themselves up. He continued on that path and is now head of relationships, recruitment, and communications at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.
Shanan will be a strong local voice for Northcote - he’s connected to his community and has a plan to make it even better. He has the energy, drive, and relationships to get things done for the communities of Northcote.
Shanan’s plan for Northcote
- Improve the traffic on congested local roads by supporting investing in public transport options, by building Skypath and Seapath, and by bringing light rail to the Shore
- Ensure our community gets the right mix of affordable and social housing in our community through Labour’s Kiwibuild programme
- Get our local schools the funding they need to cope with population growth and raise student achievement
- Preserve and improve our local parks, reserves, and beaches by working with Pest Free Kaipātiki and the Local Board
- Help our local businesses by supporting the upgrade of the Birkenhead shopping centre.
Vote Shanan Halbert on the 9th of June for a strong local voice in Northcote and someone who will get things done.